Authorities have made a second arrest in the Rosemont shooting that left a 21-year-old dead last week.
Rodolfo Simon Villa, 22, was arrested Wednesday afternoon and booked on a charge of murder, according to a Sacramento County Sheriff's Department press release.
He joins 19-year-old Michael John Almeda, who was arrested earlier this week and charged in the crime.
The pair is accused of shooting and killing 21-year-old Alexander Chavez around 6:20 p.m. on Jan. 17. Almeda is due in court Thursday afternoon, while Villa will appear in court Friday. Neither is eligible for bail.
Villa appears to have been injured in his booking photo, but sheriff's department spokesman Sgt. Jason Ramos said the suspect wasn't hurt during his arrest.
"The injuries were sustained prior to his arrest," Ramos said in an email. "He's wearing a hospital gown, as you can see. He was admitted for those injuries and we contacted him during our investigation when he was already at the hospital."
The full sheriff's department press release follows:
Sheriff’s Homicide detectives have arrested a second suspect in connection with the shooting death of a man in the Rosemont area last week. Rodolfo Villa, 22, was taken into custody yesterday afternoon and has been booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail on a charge of murder. He is ineligible for bail at this time.
Shortly after 6:20 p.m. on January 17, 2013, officers responded to the 4100 block of Westporter Drive regarding a shooting. Upon arrival, they discovered Alexander Chavez, 21, inside the driver’s seat of a sport-utility vehicle stopped in the middle of the road. He had been shot, and was pronounced deceased at the scene. Another suspect in this case, 19 year-old Michael Almeda, was arrested on January 22nd and remains in custody.
Investigation into this incident led to the identification of Almeda and Villa as persons responsible for this crime. Anyone having additional information regarding this case is asked to contact the Sheriff’s homicide Bureau at (916) 874-5115.