A fire destroyed the home of a Rancho Cordova couple last night.
Sacramento Metropolitan fire crews responded to the home on Beclan Drive in Rancho Cordova around 10 p.m., Monday, and found that the homeowners, described as an elderly couple, had exited the home.
Flames rapidly spread in one of the bedrooms and crews went to work, according to a Sac Metro press release.
"Crews immediately took action to ensure everyone was out safely, and stop the fire from spreading through the house," a press release stated. "A coordinated effort by Metro Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, saving approximately $150,000 in property value."
Firefighters credit working smoking detectors in alerting the couple so that they may escape the home.
"Without the working smoke detectors in the home this couple may not have been alerted to the rapidly growing fire in time," the release stated. "Early detection was especially crucial in this situation because the elderly female is non-ambulatory and relies on her wheelchair to get around. It took her husband extra time to assist her from the burning residence."
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), “Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.”
The cause of this fire is being attributed to an overheated extension cord. Metro Fire would like to remind readers to use a licensed electrician for all electrical work.