Lent starts on Wednesday. After Tuesday's blowout party that is Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday kicks off the 40-day period in which Catholics and other Christians practice denial and penitence, modeled on Christ's 40 days in the desert. Lent concludes the day before Easter.
It's traditional to give up something during Lent as a practice of abstinence. Some Christians choose junk food, TV, or, more lately, Facebook or the internet.
We asked Patch Facebook followers if they were going to give up anything for Lent, and if they would ever consider going on a digital fast. Their responses are below.
Read what other Patch followers had to say, then tell us in the comments: What, if anything, will you give up for Lent?
From Pacifica Patch Facebook:
- My sister gave up Facebook last year.
- What is Lent giving up for me?
- What an interesting idea...instead of digital connections - how about making quality face to face connection?
- I tried soda one year, that only lasted about two weeks. I'll try Starbucks this year.
- I think I will give up the margarita mix in my tequila :) but honestly..instead of giving up, I try to add something to my world....like giving to a charity or volunteering for an event to help a non profit.